Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Doing Lunch

Well, I won't be doing lunch, today.

This is the annual Thanksgiving Dinner at my daughter's middle school. I went last year, and I enjoyed it. There's nothing particularly amazing about the lunch -- its just the normal stuff -- but it was a chance to meet some kids that my daughter speaks of from time to time. Frankly, I was looking forward to it. But I knew that there was a chance that she wouldn't want me to come -- its a little embarassing for her to have a parent there (it'd be true if it was my wife, too), and this year, it'd be a little worse, since I don't have the upper dental plate in place, so my speech is a little slurred. I don't think its a big deal, but I know how kids can tease, so I gave her the option, the other day, of having me not come. She said it was okay with her for me to come.

But this morning, she was in a bit of a grumpy mood, after having been out somewhat late, attending the Band (ahem) Boosters Dinner, at which she got a small award. She dislikes public attention (may actually enjoy it, but her time, her way). I mentioned coming to the lunch, and she gave me a glance that caused me to wonder if the deal was still on. So I said that if she wanted, I could just skip it -- and she seemed relieved.

I'm not too disappointed. Would have been nice, though.

=============
Update: When my daughter got home, she said that she was sad for disinviting me. I told her that I understood why, and that I still loved her. Whereupon she brightened up and said 'Lets go to the craft store and buy something for Mom for Christmas!' And even though I know that usually pans out to She Picks, I Pay, I said sure. Because I like being with her.

No comments: