Sunday, November 25, 2007

Santa

Every year for the past dozen or so, I've been Santa at a local hospital at an event they hold for the employees. I really enjoy doing it, and every year I say that I wished I had more opportunity to do that. So, when I heard that my church was looking for someone to do it, and that they had a Santa suit, I thought Sure, why not?

Today I learned the difference between a cheap Santa suit and a quality one. Like, lining (granted, doing it without lining is actually better). Pockets in the pants. A belt that feels like a belt, not a strip of plastic. Ditto the boot tops. But the piece de resistance is the hair and wig. Oh, my goodness, oh, my goodness. This is One Cheap Wig.

I may be buying a wig and beard, this week. Or at least renting one (if its available to be had) from the place that rents the Santa outfit I wear to the hospital. I want something that fits well, can be secured to my head, and looks real. I don't know what that translates out to in terms of cost, though I've seen ones in excess of three hundred dollars. (Yow!) I'm thinking I ought to go to a theatrical or costume supply store, of which, of course, there are none within two hours of here.
-----------
Update: I spoke to the people from whom the hospital rents their costume. Not only do they have one they'll rent to me, in place of the shabby one, they said that if I want to buy one (at about 75% the going rate), they'll hook me up with people who are looking for a Santa at Christmas events, which is something I've been wanting to do. I'd do it for free, but apparently these people usually pay for one. My golly!

No comments: