Friday, November 16, 2007

Mulling it Over

I've mentioned on occasion that as a result of the enforced soft-foods diet that I've been on now for about twelve days, I've lost a fair amount of weight -- around twelve pounds from what I consider my normal size. This has really surprised me, because I didn't regard as what I normally ate as being all that much, nor did I consider myself to be a sedentary person. Yet the effect of eating substantially less -- I can't accurately quantify it; my gut feeling is 'about fifty five or sixty percent of normal' - is obvious. I haven't been hungry, as a rule. What brought this to mind was, oddly enough, being hungry; I didn't have breakfast this morning (I was in a snit, for reasons mentioned earlier), so that by 11, I was thinking that I could use something to eat. It turns out that Honey Wheat Cheerios aren't quite as soft as Rice Krispies, but that didn't stop me having them for lunch. But ten minutes later, I found myself at the pantry cupboard, looking for something else to eat -- then realizing that even if I found something, I couldn't have it, save the occasional cup of pudding or whatever. So I came back outside and resumed reading my current book. That was about half an hour ago, and at the moment, I'm not hungry. It's making me wonder how much I really do normally eat.

The book, incidentally, is How Doctors Think, and its not bad. I'm reading it as it relates to the styles of problem solving, and how people get stuck or sidetracked, though I'm also interested because its about medicine, which I like (in the abstract, anyway), and doctors, whom I don't (in the abstract, anyway).

No comments: