Friday, November 23, 2007

The Day After

This is the day after Thanksgiving, which is a notorious day for shopping. Ordinarily, I don't care at all about 'shopping' days; I get stuff as I need it, reserving attention only for major purchases -- like the vacuum cleaner that we're thinking about getting.

But this week is different, because First Colony, the people from whom we buy the Ghiradelli Coffees we like so much, which we elected to wait until December (free shipping) to order, sent me an email last week to the effect that this coming Monday, they will have a 25% off sale on their stock (just coffee or all stock, I'm not sure). I am going to order a lot of coffee, on that you can bet.

In a way, it's like when my wife and I were engaged and living in separate states -- we used to have huge telephone bills, really staggering ones. Then Sprint came along, and we found that we could drop our bill by about a quarter by switching to them. So we did. Did we talk the same amount, saving some money? No -- we talked more, ended up spending at least as much as we used to....and sometimes more. We used to joke, when we'd see Sprint trucks go by on the highway, that we ought to have our names on the door, as partial owners -- if not more. So it will be with coffee. 25% off? So that means order, um, at least a quarter more than we usually do, right? Rustle me up some of that excellent Chocolate Orange blend!

Its a pretty day out. Last night, I was looking out over the farm that abuts our modest piece of property. The sky was a deep blue, the cornstalks were all cut down, the sun was tinting the clouds a ruddy orange, and the leaves were mostly off the trees-- a classic Fall scene. This morning, the sky's a bright blue, and white clouds are scudding across the sky. Another classic.

Today we go buy a tree, and possibly do a little bit of shopping. But nowhere near the mall!

No comments: