Saturday, December 02, 2006

Working Out

For the last couple of months, I've been doing predominantly weight and flexibility exercises at the orthopedic place. That means three things -- using the Body Blade , which is not as easy as it looks, at least with my left arm; using the fixed weights (and its amazing how little I can pull with that arm; about ten or twelve pounds seems to be normal, but that arm gets whacked if I do more than two pounds for a couple of minutes); and an 'exercise bike' where the 'pedals' are hand-cranked. For this, I've been giving them thirty dollars a shot. Thats down from the (apparently) two hundred dollars a shot that my insurance company had paid. I also occasionally get my arm stretched by one of the therapists; thats of varying effectiveness, but it does help, and I'll never say no to having my hand held by an attractive woman (sadly, only one of the three; she's firmly married (okay, me too!); and its for medical purposes).

So now I'm thinking: sixty bucks a week, two hundred forty a month; two thousand plus a year. I could buy a membership in a decent health club for that. I wouldn't get the stretching, but.... should I switch? Going to the local YMCA doesn't thrill me; even though they've just finished an extensive remodel, its going to be the same people with the same 'you again?' attitude that I noticed when I went routinely during my year off from work. But there is a brand new LA Fitness opening soon. On the one hand, they're hiring from the same labor pool as everyone else, so the staff won't look like 90210 material. But it'll be brand new equipment....

New equipment ... multiple exercise venues...BUT..nobody pushing me, which I know I need.

Hmm.....

3 comments:

Sweeti said...

They have programs(classes)and trainers for hire also. Probably within you budget too.

genderist said...

A cattle prod on low goes a long way, too.

Cerulean Bill said...

..and on high, you go a long way. Which for some reason reminds me of a line from, I think, the Spencer novels, to this effect: He thought it rude when I jammed the umbrella up his nether aperture, but when I opened it.....