Friday, December 01, 2006

Searching

I just had an odd thought. I was doing some searching on the topic of, well, searching (talk about self referential phrases) and I came across an interesting page here. I thought 'I'd better save this page -- download it -- so that I can look at it later'. And then I thought 'exactly why do I need to download it? I'm going to use Firefox to look at it later, whats the diff between searching and saving the bookmark and saving the whole page?'

I'm sure this thought has occurred to others, but its new to me.

2 comments:

STAG said...

The transitory nature of the internet nowadays makes such behaviour suspect. I used to sprinkle my web pages with all sorts of links and would have to always be adjusting the text when a link would go invalid. It got so my text would get so cluttered with bad links that I would simply delete it, only to have some other person pissed off at me for removing HIS link.
Nice idea though. I love the idea of any text being dynamic....that if I want to add something, or some new fact comes up, it is easily changeable. I now make sure that if I have a link to some other web site that I have a relevant copy of it stashed away somewhere if I need it. To this end I attempt to have fairly complex "foot notes".
Its not a great solution, but it might do for now.

Cerulean Bill said...

If a web page disappears, but no one looks for it, does it make a sound?