Sunday, December 03, 2006

Classics

I just tried to convince my daughter that the Nutcracker ballet, which she is going now to see with her mother, grandmother, and aunt, would be much better received if it were performed by the cast from West Side Story, complete with finger snapping and black leather jackets. I even broke into a verse of When You're a Mouse King (When you're a Mouse King, You're a Mouse King all the way, From your first cigarette, to your last dying day...) but it did not suade her. She said that this was a classic, and you couldn't mess with the classics. I said that of course you could -- it was called making them current, making them relevant. She merely stared at me.

Sigh.

4 comments:

STAG said...

She would a HATED "Jesus Christ Superstar"!

Cerulean Bill said...

I can ensure that she never hears of it. All I have to do is tell her it was something popular, even radical, when I was younger. That should push it beyond the pale.

Anonymous said...

I love it! I would totally pay to see "Westside Cracker Suite."

Cerulean Bill said...

Ah, yes, the Dance of the Sugar Plum Ganstas...the classics!