Friday, December 01, 2006

Chicago Miami Day

Why? Because it's windy as hell out there...and its 72 degrees. On December first!

This has been a tumultuous day. On the one hand, I found why a product was having a problem. It was pretty satisfying to find it... but irritating that the product didn't just come out and SAY it was having this problem. Still, thats why they pay me the big bucks.... and the error messsage WAS easy to figure out. Well, it gave me a pretty big clue, anyway. So now I just have to figure out how to fix it. Having wasted many hours reading the doc, I now cut to the chase, with this product: I immediately call their help desk. They already know what I think of their doc. I probably don't want to know what they think of me!

And I filed some recipes that I'd emailed home. My golly, you'd think I was a baking fool -- five of them, with names like Best Gooey Brownies and Turtle Pecan Bars and Simplest Apple Pie and Biscotti (only the last of which have I actually made). But my need for Sense of Order is now happier. Well, except for the two that are still on this laptop.

I got up early, for a change. Perhaps it has something to do with swearing a mighty oath last night that I by God would be in bed by nine -- and was actually in the bed, albeit reading, by 8:30. My wife has observed that she now seems to need more sleep than our daughter. So also for me.

I can't get Network Magic on this PC and the desktop to acknowledge the existence of Network Magic on my new laptop. They both recogize the desktop, and the router, but not each other -- and the laptop thinks the old work PC is still around. This is irritating. I have posted a question on NMs web site, and, to my non-astonishment, got an automated reply saying that they'll get to me Real Soon Now. I want this product to work. I think its a Good Product, and I don't want to be proven wrong.

I heard a recording by a Thom Rotella -- yet another version of Little Drummer Boy. Not at all bad. I was talking with my wife the other day about Christmas music -- how no one writes new ones any more. And the old ones are -- well, pretty damned dusty, for the most part.

This weekend we go out to get the Christmas tree, I hope. My daughter wants her own, too -- a small one. And after salivating at seeing how spiffy my sister in laws house looked with multiple trees, I may acquiesce. Does she have me wrapped around her little finger? Well, heck, isn't that her job?

Baking this weekend? Probably. Not sure what, though. Either rolls or profiteroles, something like that.

And I went for a blood test today, which I did NOT want to do, because I hate letting people judge me (since I am sure I will come up wanting in their estimate), and the damned person who wrote out the order put 'fasting' on it -- but not in English, so I didn't know. Dammit! Now I have to go back again. Clearly, Health Care Delivery does not necessarily incorporate the concept of Customer Satisfaction.

But, overall, not a terrible day.... and the weekend is coming!

No comments: