Saturday, December 23, 2006

Beginning to look like...

I don't know -- Monday? Because it certainly isn't looking like Christmas.

Part of it is the lack of even a trace of snow. I know that large parts of the world don't expect snow, and currently there are some that would be gladly rid of it, but I always expect a couple of inches on the ground, and preferably falling, come Christmas. Not this year. We're getting some rain, which for some reason does not engender the Christmas spririt.

Part of it is technology. We're having multiple concurrent failures -- the cordless mouse got a low battery warning, for the first time in two years (we think that it wasn't sitting in the recharger properly) -- plus the printer isn't printing right -- when we go to print the invitations to our January party, it prints with a two inch left margin, for reasons unknown. How many systems programmers does it take to fix a malfunctioning printer? More than two, apparently.

Part is just feeling rushed -- which I know is a common thing, this time of year. We both took next week off, but my wife is feeling guilty about it because she has a lot to do at work, but also a lot to do around here. Its tough to tell someone to slow down and relax when they're planning a trip on Christmas day that won't see us getting back till Wednesday, and then another on Saturday. I would like to spend the week at home, watching the snow fall, and occasionally baking, but that doesn't seem to be the way things are playing out.

One thing's worked out, though. I've been baking. I like that. In a Christian Science Monitor article on baking, a woman referred to Friday as her 'baking day'. When I retire, I might well adopt that phrase.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We don't generally have snow on or near Christmast Day, but that doesn't stop those that love snow from hoping and wishing it to come.

Despite the busyness of your holidays, I hope you're able to find some down time to just enjoy being "off". Happy Holidays to you and your family, Bill!

Cerulean Bill said...

Thank you, Rach -- and to you and your family as well.

We continue to bake -- my wife and daughter made pepper cookies tonight, and my wife made peanut butter ones. I intend to bake something else, though I have to admit, I'm not sure what. Its possible that I may just bake the occasional thing during the year -- I picked up enough recipes to keep me going till next Christmas.

And, what the heck,while I was out this afternoon, I picked up a gift card and a novel from a local bookstore for my daughter. The novel has a hidden agenda -- its a kids book, yes (one of the excellent Philip Pullman ones) but its somewhat denser than she's used to. I'm hoping to ease her into reading more difficult novels.

And I got one for me, too. Barry Eisler -- really, an excellent writer.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Bill!

Cerulean Bill said...

Why, thank you, AL! I'll make you a deal -- you bring me some of your snow, I'll give you some of our home-made cookies!!!