Saturday, December 02, 2006

Recovery

Quite the day.

I didn't feel well last night, so I woke up a lot, and slept late. That tossed my schedule off for the day. When I got to the point of thinking about baking, the offspring insisted that it had to be thick pretzels -- and not just any thick pretzels, but the ones in the mix we'd bought as part of her fund raiser. Well...okay. But that blew the thought about doing some interesting baking.

Tthis afternoon, I took a nap, and when I woke, my wife had gone to church, and the offspring bounded into the room to announce yet another way that we, meaning me, could implement a wonderful way to surprise her mother. Well, of course, you don't want to step on that kind of enthusiasm -- hey, its the Christmas season!!! -- so you go along -- only to find that this time the plan is to put out some Christmas lights -- say, on the twenty foot evergreen in the back yard. Kiddo, I point out, that requires a ladder, and its dark, and cold out, and did I mention that I can't really reach all that well? I could help... comes the wistful response. Oh, crap. Okay, what if you do it in the front of the house? Yay! and moments later Done! Done? So fast? Well, yes, she took one string of lights, draped it over the bushes directly in front of the house. All set to plug in. Ah...you did it backwards. I need to have the -- hesitation; can I call it the 'male end' to her? -- plug end with the prongs facing out to be up on top, where the extension cord can reach it. Oh. Glum face. Well, let me see if I can do it with what you did. No. Three electrical cords later, no. Has to be that way. So out she goes into the cold and dark, flips them around. I plug them in, they light up. I stagger back into the kitchen to finish dinner.

And did I mention that she and I seem to have the sniffles?

No comments: