Sunday, December 10, 2006

They've IPLd, And They're Taking a JCL Error

If you're a mainframe systems programmer, you know what that means. My daughter isn't that, but both of us are, so she's familiar with the phrases we use.

This evening, while my wife and I were in the kitchen, admiring the Christmas lights that my daughter and I had just put on the tree outside, the daughter was next to the teleconference line that my wife has been on since mid-afternoon (not to mention, most of yesterday and part of the night). She heard them use that phrase, and she came out to the kitchen and repeated it to us -- and my wife immediately bolted for the phone.

It's nice having a smart kid.

BTW -- IPL means you're shutting down and restarting the entire operating system and all of the components on the mainframe. Its a big deal. And taking a JCL Error, aka a Job Control Language error, on one of the jobs that runs to bring the system back up, is a sickening and disheartening prospect -- hence her rapid return.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the interpretation of the JCL XYZs.

Cerulean Bill said...

I don't really have a favorite computer acronym, but if I did (and disregarding the MANIAC computer system), it might well be the mythical organization known as SET: The Society for the Elimination of TLAs. TLAs, you see, are Three Letter Acronyms, quite popular in the IBM world. Oh, crap, another TLA....

Anonymous said...

lol .. smart girl! Now you KNOW she's listening to every word you say.

Cerulean Bill said...

She has a habit of being thirty feet away and looking up to call out 'I heard that!'