Saturday, December 30, 2006

Amazed

Today was an amazing day, from a number of perspectives.

My daughter went to an exhibit at the Franklin Institute, in Philadelphia. The first one, on Charles Darwin, was pretty good, she says, but the GREAT one was on 'Animal Grossology' , about which, I told her to feel free not to enlighten me. Before the trip, she spoke for ten minutes with my in-laws on the subject of women and greek mythology, GM being a favorite topic with her. I was amazed, even knowing in advance that she was into it.

My brother in law and I compared arm stories, and I was amazed to find that with his surgery a month after mine, he is noticably further along in recovery -- for one thing, he has full range of motion with his affected arm, not the 60% or so that I've been stuck at for weeks. We talked about therapists, and it appears that mine were slackers, not doing half as much as his do. Which means I have to go on a personally funded therapist hunt.

And this evening we visited a friend's house for his pre-New Years party. This guy is gay, and all I can say is, he fulfilled every stereotype known about gay people being extremely creative and good at decorating. Multiple people, including me, said that we thought our homes were decorated until we saw his place. OMG, as they say. I was impressed by what he did and how he did it. Strings of lights throughout the house. Multiple trees, large and small, all decorated differently. Little knickknacks hither and yon. Dynamic colors on the walls and furniture. A gorgeous sleigh bed upstairs, plasma TV, comfortable couches, jazzy kitchen with high-end appliances, great food downstairs. All of it awesome, and amazing.

No comments: