Saturday, January 16, 2010

Horseshoe Nails

For years, we've had this food processor. It's done about 90% of what we'd want one to do. Every so often, we've had to split a batch in half to get it done, but not too often. Occasionally, we'd think that it would be nice to get a bigger one, but - well, I can be cheap. It still works! would be my rallying cry. Once, it stopped working, because the little tab on the bowl that locks the lid in place, and thus lets it run, snapped off. This is a piece of plastic, about a quarter inch long, an eighth high and wide. But I found it, and superglued it back on, and it works!

About a week ago, the little tab snapped off again. (I think this is a design flaw, but Kitchen Aid doesn't seem to have felt the need to retrofit a solution - perhaps something in gleaming titanium?) I put the tab down on the cluttered counter, thinking I'll glue that on later.... you know how this ends. Now, we can still make it work but we have to manually hold the locking tab down to do it. This is not intolerable, but it's a pain. And somewhere, deep in the part of my brain that figures these things out, that was enough to say Okay, It's Time.

We're getting a new one. Which leaves me with a question: do we pitch the old one (it's the American way, after all), or save it? And if we save it, do we try to make it work, which, if successful, would make me think we wasted the money on the new one?

.....all for the want of a horseshoe nail. Or a little bitty piece of plastic.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

I give away most of my older stuff to a church group that has a store in the area. We even are able to pass on excess garden harvests this way. Perhaps there is something similar in your area...other than the traditional land fill.

Cerulean Bill said...

I can look, but my suspicion is that there won't be much market for a food processor where the lid won't stay on without you holding it. Which is too bad, because it - mostly- works.

STAG said...

Pitch it. Its old.

Cerulean Bill said...

But it still works! (kinda)