Friday, January 29, 2010

Baking Day

Two things going on at once -- a white bread recipe and one for a 'tomato soup spice cake' (they swear you won't taste the tomato soup; don't know about that yet, but the cinnamon and cloves give a nice aroma as it bakes).

Cat just came over and licked my fingers -- she smelled the tuna we had for lunch. Yet when I put a couple of pieces on that damn scratching post, and even drizzled a little of the oil on it, she just walked right by, barely glancing at it.

Five or six girls are sleeping over tomorrow. My daughter invited her entire color guard sub-unit, which is 12 girls. She said 'Nobody likes me, only a couple are coming', then said she was kidding (which I think she actually was). I offered to sleep down there tomorrow night with them, and she said I didn't have to do that. But who will lead the songs? I asked, plaintively. Then again, after having pizza and soda and ice cream and pretzels and potato chips and.....they may not be able to sing. Groan and rub their distended bellies, perhaps.

Wife's working from home today. She was going to go in this morning, come home in mid afternoon so that she could do my daughter's hair for the performance tonight, but when she realized it was twelve degrees out, the wisdom of staying became apparent. I offered to do my daughter's hair, and she informed me that I didn't know how. Sure I do, I said, and she replied that I couldn't do braids. Yep, I said, I learned in college when one of the girls in my ROTC unit wanted someone to do it. Well, she said, you can't do three braids. Sure I can, I said. I've made challah, and that's four braids. She just shook her head. Not gonna happen.

========
You totally cannot taste the tomato soup. It's excellent!

3 comments:

genderist said...

Just took a coconut chocolate fudge cake out of the oven for us to have if the power goes out again...

That tomato soup sounds really good. :)

STAG said...

You volunteered to hang out with a girl's slumber party? Dooooood!!!! You are tough as nails!!!!

They will EAT you ALIVE. Alive I tell ya, swelp me!

Cerulean Bill said...

Coconut chocolate fudge?????? Oh my goodness...and here I was thinking that spice cake was the height of decadence. Excellent!

And I knew she wouldn't let me hang out with the girls -- I didn't actually intend to. To use one of her words, that'd have been creepy.

Though one of her friends is kind of cute.....