Friday, January 22, 2010

24 Hours

Last night, I was a classic space cadet. Had a hard low blood sugar event. At one point, my wife asked me if I'd done a glucose reading lately, and while I knew what the words meant, I could not for the life of me see how they related to me. I asked her to walk down the hall with me because I felt unsteady. This morning, she told me that it was like walking with a drunk -- I staggered a bit, and twice I bumped into the wall. Very disconcerting.

At breakfast this morning, we talked about picking up the cat, which is scheduled for early this afternoon. Everyone's looking forward to it. My wife told me about the massive application she had to fill out to get the cat -- none of this 'show up with money and say that one' . Apparently, the application had questions such as 'why do you want a pet' and 'what attracted you to this animal? Be specific'. I said that it was likely a good thing that she was filling it out instead of me, as I'd have said 'Because you can't play Boot The Kitty without a cat', and 'Her come-hither eyes, her recipe for Creme Brulee, and the way she can whistle Dixie while tap-dancing'. My daughter said that had that happened, we likely wouldn't be getting a cat, today. At which point, she'd have made me pay.

This afternoon, she's supposed to work after school, painting the tarp that color guard uses. She was just going to bring the painting clothes in with her this morning, and stay, but she forgot them, so she'll come home at 3:30 and go back in at 4. Curiously, we'll have the cat home by about 3, so she'll be able to see it. She assures me that's just a coincidence.

And she now calls the cat 'Abby'.

No comments: