Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hear That?

We moved the clock from our kitchen bookcase down to the den, because the new TV doesn't have a clock display (kind of a surprise, actually). Then we found out that we actually looked at the bookcase clock --both of us thought nah, we never use that, sure, move it -- so we tried putting my alarm clock in the kitchen. Didn't take up much space, relative to the top of the bookcase (on my bed table, yeah). Which is when we found that it wasn't my eyes failing - the LCD display really had gotten dimmer over the years.

So now we're thinking about a new clock for either the den or the kitchen, and maybe one for my side of the bed. Which of course starts me thinking Why does the clock have to take up so much space? I don't have all that much bedside real estate. Why can't the thing be just a thin clock display, with the bulk of the thing somewhere else? And why's it so bulky, anyway -- its just a radio with alarm and clock; can't it be smaller? How about something where the 'guts' are hidden, or over on a shelf, and the display/controls are over here, talking to it via Bluetooth? Maybe a hand held display? And then I read about a clock with a WiFi link that you can use to talk to your PC. Hello, Pandora audio? Or streaming audio from a radio station?

Of course, this technologically slick stuff will be locally available. Of course.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

I hear you. I purchased a clock for my side of the bed because I could never see my hubbys clock face as he always piled books in front of it. Then found out the large face clock I bought doesn't LIGHT up at NIGHT! Wall clocks for the kitchen are essential if the lcd display on any appliance is not easily seen. Also, a good battery operated wall clock is handy when that electricity goes out.

I just made soem apple crisp with leftover apples...you're probably the only blogger that I would share this with...;-)

Cerulean Bill said...

I have never made that, but it always sounds good. I learned, after only living here for 25 years, that there are many, many apple orchards with different styles of apples about a half hour south of here. Come fall, I want to give that a shot.

genderist said...

Or... you could use your cell phone as an alarm clock and use your bedside real estate for more exciting things...

Cerulean Bill said...

My cell phone makes calls. No internet functions, no alarm clock,no memo functions, no camera. Nada.

Though, since I hear ATT and Verizon just dropped prices, maybe.....