Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Catcher

I read Catcher in the Rye when I was in high school. As I suppose it did with a lot of kids that age, it made an impression on me. I don't think I wanted to be as slick, or suave, or witty as Holden Caulfield, and I didn't really understand some of his problems, but when it came to describing that sense of vague angst that teens can have, I was right there. I don't think I need to try to describe that; if you experienced it, you know, and if you didn't, odds are you wouldn't understand.

I'm currently reading a book that my daughter recommended. She said that she'd given it to her mother to read, and they both thought it was pretty funny. Well, I'm not at all of that opinion. It's got funny spots, but what it really does is give a great picture of someone just trying to get through the teen years without getting beaten up in the process. Not always successfully. I can easily see myself doing these things, wondering about these things. It feels right.

The book is Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes, by Chris Crutcher. I recommend it. I think Holden'd approve.

No comments: