Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Dental Denial

I went through a great deal of effort, and money, over the past many months to get eight implants inserted into my upper jaw.

Imagine how delighted I was to hear the general dentist say, today, that I probably won't need to use all eight to support the final denture. When I pointed out to him that the health of the bone relies on stimulation transmitted through the implants through chewing, etc, and that I didn't want to hear, in three years, that I was going to lose one of those expensive implants because the bone supporting it wasn't being stimulated, he seemed surprised. Said "That's a good question -- I'll ask the oral surgeon."

Oh my god.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Unfortunately we are really all responsible for our own health care!

Cerulean Bill said...

I don't mind being responsible. But when one dentist says I need eight, and I pay - heavily - for that quantity, and then the other says four is enough, I get a mite testy.