Thursday, November 05, 2009

Mail Maul

TO: Anyone who cares

RE: Verizon SMTP mail failure


When we switched to Verizon, we kept our Comcast mail active. Hey, presto -- suddenly outbound Comcast mail fails with a 'user address' error -- the server has rejected it. This is, of course, the same email address we've had since we started.

Turns out Verizon is hot to trot on not letting email use the port it normally uses -- 25. Something about evil things tend to happen there. So, they block it, probably with that nifty new router they gave us (its a combo router/modem - roudem?) and say 'use port 587 instead of 25' (like, if this is public info, how's that going to stop the evility?) So we do. Nada.

Finally, after seeing occasional references to '...and tell the server you want to be authenticated' , I went to Outlooks Accounts/Properties/Servers and checked Outgoing Mail Server: My server requires authentication. (Did I give it any credentials with which to do such authenication? No, because I had no idea what they might be -- so I left it at Use same settings as my incoming mail server -- whatever that means.) I left the port at 587.

And it worked.

I think Verizon needs to work on its mail-changeover methods.

No comments: