Monday, November 30, 2009

Interlude

Just went for a walk with my wife. On the way back, we saw a large dog go bounding past. My wife said that perhaps it was the dog the man was calling. What man, I asked, and she pointed to where a guy was running furiously down the street, two blocks away, screaming for the dog. He took a moment to stop and tell us what he thought of us for not grabbing the dog as it went past. The large dog with correspondingly large teeth. The excited large dog.... He looked like he wanted to take a swing at us, but realized that his dog was now even further away.

When we got back, I thought of getting the van to see if I could help the guy, then thought do you really want this guy, this agitated foul-mouthed guy, in your car? Do you think he'll apologise, thank you for your effort?

Ah....no.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it when people blame others for their own failings.

What were you supposed to do? Read his mind, connect the various sights in an instant and put yourself in danger because he lost control of his dog?

I hope he feels guilty about his outburst, but he probably doesn't.

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

I think that he likely feels he missed a great opportunity to bash a stranger -- and how I hope I remain one -- just because he had to go retrieve his dog. And we all know how screaming and waving your arms makes a dog want to stop and wait for you.

In his defense, he really seemed to care about getting the dog back ... though it might have been because he didn't want to explain to his mother why the dog was gone.