Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Moving Experiences

We've moved a few things around, and it must be a success, because everyone's unhappy about something.

My wife's not happy because I tied up the metal frame and lugged it to the point where we could get it into the storage room. I then asked her for help moving it, because she gets apprehensive when I do heavy lifting by myself, and she got irritated to find that I'd done any of it. Pointing out that the carcass of the couch still needed to be moved didn't help.

My daughter's not happy because we replaced the couch which has been in the living room since she was a kid, and the large blue chair, with a smaller couch - a love seat - and an overstuffed red chair. She liked the couch; she liked the blue chair. Like me, she's not fond of change, or of discarding things that still work. As it happens, we still have the couch, just downstairs now. She was so unhappy about the blue chair, she dragged it back in from the garage and insisted that we had to keep it.

And I'm not happy because I really don't like asking others for help, especially when it makes me feel old and feeble -- and asking the healthy young teenaged boy next door for help moving things does that quite nicely. My wife doesn't get that logic at all. Granted, I haven't told her, but I sort of hoped it'd be obvious. Apparently not.

Dumb, I know. Sometimes, I can be.

No comments: