Sunday, November 22, 2009

Money

Still finding surprises in my mother's stuff -- like, drawings (very, very bad) that I did for an art class when I was in fifth grade.

And money. Not a lot -- about twenty five dollars in cash, and four cylinders with coins, separated by type. My wife knew, somehow, that when my father was a cab driver, he would come home and dump all of his earnings on the table. My mother would take it, organizing the change and the cash, keeping a running total of how much he'd made. Which also let her know, though I didn't realize it at the time, when he'd not worked a full shift -- likely spending some of it in a friendly tavern. She thinks the cylinders date from those separation actions.

Funny, the memories things like that triggger.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

It is odd when we start down that memory lane.

Cerulean Bill said...

Yeah. Even now, I am capable of being surprised by finding what my parents did, or had to do, to run a household. Some of it makes my life seem pretty cushy.