Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Yet Again...

We're all going in different directions today.

Right now - well, not right now - I'm studying French. This morning I realized that the 'wagon lits' of The Orient Express referred to 'sleeping cars', 'lit' being French for bed, which knowledge made me happy. Just after lunch, I'm going over to the hospital to talk with a woman for whom I've been doing some pro bono consulting (I put it that way because it sounds classier than 'something to keep me off the streets', plus it reminds me that I would like to earn some money doing this).

My wife is over at the elementary school, starting the project of sewing the incredibly complex flags for this season's color guard. In about ninety minutes she'll be home for a quick lunch, then going up to her mother's home to attend the funeral of a relative who died abruptly two days ago. She'll be back mid-tomorrow, in time to bake the manicotti she's making as dinner for the color guard folks (dinners are supplied by volunteer parents).

My daughter's over at the same school, doing one of her twelve hour practices that are so intense, she was limping this morning from the practice yesterday, the concept of 'vacation' having apparently eluded their instructors.

I'm pretty sure the cat is just staying here today, so that's something.

2 comments:

STAG said...

colour guard. Sounds like it is getting too intense. I don't think we have anything equivalent...well, maybe hockey practice.

Cerulean Bill said...

Mounted hockey practice, perhaps. Armed mounted hockey practice.