Saturday, December 18, 2010

Bookmark This

Read a brief article this morning about how a fellow discovered that as he bookmarked more and more, the probability of his being able to find such bookmark when it would be helpful grew less and less. Ah, I thought, yes, of course. Do you have an answer?

Nope.

My thought: A Bookmark Keyword Generator and Deleter. Periodically runs through your bookmarks, purging the ones that haven't been used in, oh, a year. (More elegant: some period of time related to how often you create a bookmark. More often? Faster. Not so often? Slower.) Yes, I know that bookmarks don't have dates-of-creation. They should.

And for the remainder, runs out and pings the site shortly after creation. If it doesn't exist any more, flags the bookmark for deletion. (Shoves it into a Deletion folder.) If it does, grabs the metadata and creates a keyword index. You then use a search engine to scan your bookmarks. (Which, I gather, Google kind of does, though I never really understand the results it says it finds 'already on your computer'. Half the time, I go looking, and don't see where it found them. Not to mention the oh my god is that there still? Purge it quick! stuff. )

So that's my contribution to the solution.

No comments: