Sunday, December 12, 2010

Post Nyawk

We survived our trip to New York City.

The bus itself was comfortable. Certain things could have been better, but overall, it was a good thing. In the city, we were let off at Seventh and 49th, and promptly started walking north, hitting an Au Bon Pain (which delighted me for two reasons; one being that I was hungry, and such places tend not to exist in the burg where I live, and the the other that I could read the name). We walked over to Fifth, and then north up Madison, finally making into Central Park Zoo, which location I think I've only been into twice in my life. It was great, as much for the people watching as for the animals. In a darkened room we watched penguins up close, diving, swimming underwater, and preening. We saw the famous red-butted monkeys going through a mating dance (Me: Talk about guys who can't get a date. Wife: Oh, he can get a date. But that's all he's going to get.) We saw flightless cranes and lumbering primates. It was great. Also great: the Rizzoli bookstore, which was the kind of bookstore I remember, before the mallification of bookstores. (Me, to clerk: It's a good thing I don't live closer. I'd be a lot poorer.) And I would, too. We walked down Fifth again, stopped in at St. Patricks, aka Mob Scene Central, jogged a block over to check out The Tree (massive, and brilliant). And, oh yes: SantaCon was in full force.

We had a good time.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Nice. I find NYC intimidating and dangerously expensive if not careful and have only been there a few times.

Cerulean Bill said...

Certainly true about the expensive, and way crowded if you're on Fifth. At one point we literally moved a foot, stopped, moved a bit, stopped again. That was about a block from St. Patrick's. I grew up in New York City, so I'm used to crowds -- but this was amazing. Made me glad I live where I do.

But I'm glad we went. Rizzoli Books and Central Park Zoo, alone, made the trip worth it.