Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Awake?

Every parent's done it.

You're half asleep. Perhaps it's the middle of the night. And you hear that sound. A muted wail. Your child needs something. It's not an urgent sound, just a it sure would be nice if someone got up and fed me, maybe changed my diaper kind of sound. You freeze. Maybe your partner will think you're asleep and be a nice person, get up and take care of it.

The wail recurs. Dammit. I guess I'll have to get up -- then you feel the slight movement in the bed. Is the partner getting up? The movement stops -- dammit -- then starts again. Yes! Yes! I get to stay in bed! They're getting up!

This morning. Daughter's 16. Our alarm goes off. The daughter's alarm goes off. Nobody moves.

And eventually....one of us gets up....stumbles to the door... raps on the daughters door.

Which is better: the feeling of glee at being about to sleep in, or the feeling of self-righteousness at getting up?

2 comments:

Tabor said...

It is not a contest...it is showing love for the other person.

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, it's not a contest per se, but a race? Yeah, I think so. But its okay, because we're friendly competitors.