Monday, December 20, 2010

Conversations

This morning, my daughter asked me to drive her into school.

When we walked into the garage, I laughed. She asked why. I told her that yesterday I had walked into the garage and the heater was running a lot -- so much that the garage was toasty warm. That was pleasant, but I didn't like the idea of heating the garage so well. And it bothered me to think that my car was in better living conditions than some families. I went on to tell her about an article I read this morning from the current issue of The Economist, about unemployment insurance, and how for many families its a fraying lifeline. I said that I understand the standard Republican view that you can't fund unemployment insurance forever, that you're mortgaging generations unborn, but when I hear about people who are trying desperately and there's just no jobs to be had, I can't help but be angry at Republicans for sticking to that principle, no matter the cost. We talked a little about whether you have to always stick to your principles, and if not, how do you decide when to bend.

It was an interesting conversation.

No comments: