Monday, January 29, 2007

Platypus

One of the things I don't like about the new blogger is that it requires you to sign in using a 'google' id -- which is then put on your Google screen (like many, I use that as a home page). You can always sign out, but there's an easier solution. The Firefox 'Platypus' extention lets you alter the appearance of whats delivered to your screen (the web site thinks its painting one thing; a user script on your PC alters it upon arrival). In my case, it eats the display of my user id, not to mention, part of the extra little items that the big G has been putting on their home page from time to time.

Firefox. It's a good thing.

3 comments:

STAG said...

I don't understand this post. I am in the New Blogger, and just went to the google web site. Nothing special there except an ad to put a google search bar in my browser.

Finally managed to delete all of Firefox and all its little tendrils, well, most of them. Maybe. Things are running MUCH faster, better, and with zero crashes.

I must respectfully differ with your love of Firefox...my experience is much less positive. I went from a crash every day to none in the last 3 weeks. And it NEVER worked right when I had it.

Cerulean Bill said...

Heck, Stag, you don't have to be respectful with me! Just send me a sack of loonies and we'll be fine...

I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences with Firefox. Clearly, if removing it improved your environment, that was the right thing to do. I'm not a Firefox evangelist (well, perhaps with a 'small e'); I don't think it's unquestionably superior to IE, but I do think it's got a number of capabilities that are better than IE, Platypus being one of them. IE would do well to emulate that kind of user-friendliness, I think.

Could Firefox be better? Oh, yeah. I doubt there has ever been a piece of software that couldn't be made better. I think its pretty good, though. Bottom line is, if what you have works and you're happy, thats the way to go. No moral superiority on either side.

But still, send me the money.

STAG said...

Well. Maybe its because I am running an unsupported Windows 98 on a steam powered Pentium Three. Which at the time was state of the art. Nice thing about getting on in years is you see 'puters going obsolete faster than my elastic waistbands on my Y fronts.
Was thinking about going dual core and Red Hat linux, but for the love of Pete, why? Its not like it makes the beer any colder.


Anyways...regards.

Going to make those cookies you blogged about now.