Friday, January 05, 2007

Milestone

Today I turned to my wife and quietly asked if it seemed to her that our daughter was getting... bigger. She told me that she had, that very morning, informed her that the shirt she was proposing to wear to school was too sheer, and that she needed a bra. She's worn them before, when she's felt like it. This is the first time when there was a different reason.

Oh.

(Would my daughter die if she knew I knew? Maybe. I won't tell.)

She just bounded in and said "I love you, Dadzo", to which I replied "I love me, too".
"No," she said, sticking her nose in my personal space,"you're supposed to say you love me too."
"I did", I said, smiling. "I said I love me, too."
"No, " she said sternly, "you love ME!"
"Right. I love ME."
"DAD!" "
"....and I love you too."
She ran down the hall, shouting 'And now I can't HEAR you!!!!"

What a kid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, she sounds like quite the girl.

We're approaching the 'bra' stage too in oh as little as three years, and it scares me to know we have the teen years with two girls to get through. I'm pretty sure your daughter would be embarassed to know you noticed THAT too. lol

Cerulean Bill said...

Not to mention the 'Mom, she's wearing my clothes again!' Kind of makes you sympathize, just a bit, with what your mother went through, I bet.

Its dating I dread. A coworker used to say that he was considering giving his daughter a bounty for not dating until she was twenty five. At the time I thought it was quite funny....