Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes

I still like that little rhyme that my daughter learned in pre-school, though I also think the version in Spanish, or the one oriented to insect structure (Head, Thorax, Abdomen,Abdomen) is pretty cool. Its on my mind because tomorrow she's getting her braces off, and is decidedly ambivilent about it -- is glad to have them off, is not happy about getting a retainer, which can easily and surprisingly come out of your mouth. She's heard horror stories of kids getting grief from their parents for losing them, and I admit we've mentioned that to her, too. But tomorrow, the big unveiling.

On a different physical note, I'm thinking of contacting a private physical therapist to see about moving my arm improvement along. I was astounded to find that my brother in law's progress is substantially better than mine; though it might be that his surgery was less invasive (for one thing, I don't know if he got a new robojoint like me), its also true that I was dissatisfied with the progress even before finding that out. Knowing nothing about therapists other than that this woman says she lives in my town, and specializes in athelets and arm/shoulder rehab, I'm going to give her a call, see what happens.

Found a new cookbook to try out, via interlibrary loan: Beth Hensperger's Bread Made Easy. Its intended for neophyte bakers, and I'm closer to that than 'experienced', so we'll give it a try.

3 comments:

African Kelli said...

I am interested to hear your review on the cookbook. I am trying to learn how to bake a great loaf of bread!

Anonymous said...

On the Physical Torturist, Please remember that everyone progresses at a different rate and what's good for isn't necessarily good for another. Maybe start with a second opinion.

Cerulean Bill said...

I am not a great baker, by any means. I read, some time ago in one of Anthony Bourdain's books, about a baker who would get intermittantly hired by all of the restaurants; he was a lousy employee, but made exceptionally fine bread. Me, I'm just looking to make bread that tastes good. I made that 'no knead' bread that was all the rage a while ago (and still might be, for all I know); the technique of baking it inside a container really did make a difference in the crust; I recall reading about someone saying that a good crust would shatter when you squeezed it. This crust was pretty close to that. On the other hand, the dough -- the 'crumb', I suppose I should say - was still somewhat damp, even when the thermometer said it was okay -- I forget what that is, 120 or 150 degrees, something like that. Thats my biggest problem. I know; problems of the idle baker.

And yes, I agree about the second opinion. Thats the plan.