Sunday, January 21, 2007

Later That Day

It snowed this evening. About, oh, a tenth of an inch, which means there's likely about a one out of four chance that they'll delay school tomorrow. The local people like to delay school.

I've read through the Fine Homebuilding -- I always enjoy reading that magazine, especially when they talk about specific construction details that might affect what we build as our next home. I get a little antsy referring to that as our retirement home, since that sounds so old, but thats what it would be. We're still expecting that this will happen in somewhere around five to ten years from now. Of course, we've been saying that for a while. This particular issue had an article about the building of a pantry cabinet into a small closet, which I liked because we've wanted to add a rolling shelf to the one we have in our kitchen. When we had the remodel done, we had two shelves of that type put in, and afterwards decided that a third would be nice, but were completely unable to interest the contractor in either selling us the shelf or doing that and putting it in themselves. We took the obvious lesson away from that.

This morning I took two hours and went up to the data center to IPL my test system. To do an IPL means to do an Initial Program Load, kind of like booting your PC. I'd tried to do it on Friday, but it didn't work -- I got the dreaded Wait State, which you get if the storage volume you're using doesn't have the information it needs to be able to start the system. Usually its because you forgot to put it there, but sometimes its because you're pointing to the wrong storage address, as was the case here. I was delighted when it came up. I didn't really doubt that it would, once I had the right address, but it was still a nice experience.

My daughter is rooting through the trash for her retainer, which she misplaced this morning. The good news is, we just found it. The bad news is, she stores it in a napkin at school. Argh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go easy on her... I threw mine away once at school. It was awful. While I was desperately digging through nasty high school lunchroom garbage, people were coming behind me, throwing stuff on top. Awful.

Yes, I found it... after about fifteen minutes of up-to-my-elbow ick. (Not to mention what that did for my social standing for a while...)

Cerulean Bill said...

We actually found it on our coffee table after she had searched through the trash for about 5 minutes. We are going to get her a second case for school and hope that she uses that instead of the napkin. She assures us that she always places the napkin off her tray, and retrieves it after dumping the tray, but....