Saturday, January 06, 2007

But *I* am his favorite....

Got a call last night. One of our systems had puked and died the night before, and they were going to do what they thought caused it again, so they wanted me to dial into the system at seven oh freaking clock in the morning, 'just in case'. So I spent some time on it last night, getting a sense of what it normally looks like, where the stress point was -- and this morning, when we were waiting to start, I mentioned how much storage the tasks had been -- "Oh, yeah," the requestor interrupted me, "they were using like a gig of extended and the system has about one point two gig, so that was too much." Pause. Actually, it's central, not extended (a moot point, and to tell the truth, it probably was extended), and if you knew this already, why am I even on the phone? Dammned if a minute later he asked about a storage value, and I told him that what he'd been told by someone else was wrong, that wasn't how the system worked, to which he replied that In that case, I believe you, because you know more about this stuff.

I told my wife later, and she said 'he was sucking up to you'. Yep. And tomorrow he'll tell the other guy that I said such and so, but would he go find out what the real info is?

I give up!

No comments: