Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A bit chilly

As things go, it could be worse. We could be in, say, Colorado, or northern Maine. Here in the Keystone State, we have no snow, just the cold. Which is, as I look out the window (why does saying 'look through the window' somehow sound wrong?), about 15 degrees with a bit of wind.

Breakfast this morning was a quiet affair. Nothing was particularly wrong, but none of us seemed in a conversational mood -- or even an intellectual one; I put down the latest issue of The Economist, which is pretty rare for me. I did make french toast, but just using regular white bread, not the challah, because I wasn't in a mood to experiment. Of late, I've made about 70% of our breakfasts, but this morning I was moving slowly, so I didn't need the additional grief of finding that the challah wasn't actually right for FB. Call me some - word - that - means - stuck - in - place.

On the bright side, my daughter went to give the GP medicine for her eye, and called out that we had to come look immediately. Oh, God, I thought, now what? But it turned out to be (apparently) good news: the scab had fallen off, and the eye appears intact. No promises that surgery won't still be needed (yuck), and of course the eye is still and will remain nonfunctional -- but I can accept that. It was the hideous image I was dreading.

Speaking of dread, my system problem at work is completely inexplicable. I've opened a problem record with the people who support that software, and, of course, I'm sure that they will Get Right On It.

Welcome to Wednesday.

No comments: