Sunday, August 13, 2006

Stray Items

I'm sitting in the dining room leafing through the paper with a warm something on my shoulder. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it; it's kind of a large packet with aromatic things inside that you microwave until it's warm, and then put where it best suits you. I'm not sure that it is doing me all that much good; however, it does smell nice.

I wonder if we're going to see restrictions on flights coming from, and going to the Middle East, along the lines of what I understand happens when you are boarding an El Al flight, such that you essentially get a biography interview before they let you in the boarding area. And I wonder if we're going to see profiling, which says, if you match the kind of person who's been involved in terroristic activities, we're either not going to let you on the flight, period, or we're going to charge you more and keep you under some kind of restriction during the flight. And, is it possible it will come to a point where trans-Atlantic flight is reserved for the wealthy? Now there's a sick joke waiting to happen: a plane full of lawyers over the North Atlantic gets blown up...

Is it possible to have a system for the community to alert law enforcement of evildoers without having it be a vehicle for vigilantes and vendettas?

An article in today's New York Times business section says that plumbing fixtures supplier Moen evaluated the use of their new shower heads by actually filming people taking showers. The problem, they said was not getting people to let them do it; the problem was keeping the camera lens from fogging up. From the steam, one assumes.

I want a single headset that I can plug into the phone, and pleas for, and into my PC for dictation. Dual noise canceling earpieces a plus.

Telephones: There's an old joke about the elderly man who finally had a telephone put in his house. A visitor heard it ringing. Aren't you going to get that? he asked. No, the man replied. I had that thing put in for my convenience. In Robert Heinlein's classic novel, Stranger in a Strange Land, he has a switch that turns off the phones for the house, and the television is kept in the basement, only rolled out when needed. I think both are good ideas.

For any idea, you can always find an expert who thinks it's wonderful and a critic who thinks it's abysmal.

3 comments:

genderist said...

That is the same reason why I dont' click over when the call waiting beep happens and I'm on my phone. If I wanted to talk to them, I would have called... and, if it's important, they can leave a message.

Bleh. It really grosses out my husband. :)

Rach said...

blogger just ate my comment. ARGH!

My thinking is much like genderist's. If the phone rings while I'm busy .. I don't drop what I'm doing to run for it. I figure if it's important, they'll leave a message, otherwise I have call display and can return the call at MY convenience.
I know this has been debated before, but I often wonder why we allow people to have that much control over us, by allowing them to cause us to halt everything, to talk to them. Now if they were to drop by and ring the doorbell, that's another story.

Oh, and I have one of those scented microwaveable bead thing-a-ma-jigs. I love it!

Sweeti said...

I make those microwavable things, The best and most therapeutic are the ones just made from ordinary pearl rice. You can even just pour a bag in a new tube sock and knot the end. The moist heat is what does a body good. You microwave it for 2-3 minutes.