Friday, August 11, 2006

B&N Buyin

This evening I did something that I don't believe I've ever done before. I bought myself a very expensive book ... and I did it using a gift card.

Whenever I go to a bookstore, the rule of thumb is that I only buy inexpensive books. Even if I see a book that I really want, the best that I'm willing to do is to write down the title and put it in my database of books thatI'm going to read.. someday. I've gone to the store a couple of times since receiving the very generous gift card, but each time I bypassed books thinking well, I'll look at a different one. Or well that's nice but it's not really what I want. When what I was really saying was, I don't want to spend the money. Only this time, I could!

Which is why on the counter in our kitchen, dominating almost everything else by its sheer size, is our brand-new copy of Team of Rivals, Doris Kearns book about Lincoln and his cabinet. It's a little intimidating -- OK, it's a lot intimidating, because it's so big -- but I'm given to understand that it's very well written, and very insightful.

And I get to read it for free.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Woohoo .. and that's the pure joy of purchasing something with a gift card/certificate. Enjoy your new read!

Sweeti said...

Yep, gift cards are always the perfect color, the perfect size, and rarely get returned. A bonus for all who are involved.