Saturday, August 05, 2006

Salsa, Searching, and Stuff

One of the characters in the television show the West Wing liked to say after coming out of a meeting that he didn't particularly enjoy "well, there's X minutes of my life I'll never get back." He didn't say it all the time, but often enough so that it became a recognizable tag phrase. I just spent about 40 minutes trying to find a way to order some salsa. I was also looking to buy a seat cushion for a wooden chair that we use at the desk in the room we call the library, and I wanted to buy a clock to hang on the wall in the bathroom. So there's mine - 40 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

Despite the best efforts of Google, Amazon, Yahoo, and several other search engines, I struck out on every single one. It wasn't an entire strikeout -- I did find a recipe for pineapple salsa, which I'm going to try -- but I really wanted to buy the Goldwater's salsa that I've bought before, and which I like. Several stores say that they sell it, and they do -- it's just that they don't sell it sell it-- rather, they sell it as a way to get you to buy other things, or in conjunction with other things that you might not particularly want. For example, one store sold it as part of a pack that included tortilla chips. I didn't want tortilla chips -- there are some perfectly fine ones locally. Another was willing to sell me the pineapple salsa, but only if I ordered it with tomatillo salsa, which I didn't particularly want. A third was willing to sell me a three pack of the pineapple salsa - they were even willing to do it at a discount, they said. The total would have been $30, which is somewhat pricey, but hey, I like this stuff. I had just hauled out the credit card number and and started to read when I noticed that the cost for shipping was another $12. Forget that. Don't tell me it's a discount, and then charge me 30% shipping.

On the other two, I gave up after a couple of desultory searches. At least I got the salsa recipe. Wonder if I can figure out how to make a cushion and build a clock?

1 comment:

Rach said...

I can get you directions on how to make an altered cd clock. Bet your daughter would love making it!