Sunday, August 27, 2006

Brunch Philosophy

Here is my insight for the day: jobs like mine (and my wife's) became less fun when the people who run organizations cut staff, shortened deadlines, and added projects. I know, this hardly makes us unique, but I've always felt lucky to do what I do, and now I really don't.

This insight comes from my looking up at her at breakfast this morning and saying 'you know, why don't we both say vuck it, you clowns can take your ball and go home, we're not playing any more. We'll just live with what we have now; the stress of working for you just isn't worth the payback.' After a minute, she looked back and said You know, thats damned tempting.

We're not rich, but we're well off, I think. I read once that people will talk gladly about sex, but not money. Okay, I'm like that, too -- but here's a salacious peek: to me, well-off is when you have enough money that if you scale spending down to about 75% of what it is now, you can survive into the years when pensions, etc kick in. We're there now. As for rich, thats when you scale down to 90%, and so forth. Not there; don't expect ever to be there. (I heard the other day that Julia Roberts is worth two hundred and fifty million dollars. I question our culture, once again.)

So, at what point sanity? Remember: retirement is forever, unless you're damned lucky in your choice of professions, hobbies, or ancestry.

Okay, done philosophizing for now.

4 comments:

genderist said...

I'm emotionally ready to retire and never look back. Financially speaking is another matter entirely.

Cerulean Bill said...

You and I could start a club, G....

jo_jo said...

Oh Bill. What can I say?! Until you believe there is another way, this will endure.
Much love,
Joanna

Cerulean Bill said...

True. I know that, intellectually. I don't know it emotionally .