Thursday, August 03, 2006

Piercing Observation

As it turns out, I have body piercings. About eight of them, so far as I can see – nice shiny little staples on my shoulder. As part of the therapy this morning, the fellow peeled off the big honkin' bandage and replaced it with a little honkin' bandage. I looked down with a certain amount of trepidation, but it's actually not gross looking. Not the sort of thing you want to look at routinely though, either.

The therapy went pretty well. He showed me a couple of different exercises, and basically said, we'll take it slow and see how it goes. The plan is that I will do this three times a week for the next 20 weeks. I've got an appointment in about two weeks to see the surgeon, and at that point, we'll see if things should be accelerated. I'm not going to push it, but I have to admit that so far this is moderately encouraging.

Once again, I'm amazed, amused, and perplexed by cellular telephones. It's hardly an original observation, but it does appear that the people who sell these things have a vested interest in making it difficult to see what they offer and how much you'll pay for it if you select it. I have simple needs. I don't want a camera. I don't want a Web browser. I don't want memo capability. I do want a speakerphone. Is that too much to ask? The answer is unfortunately obvious.

4 comments:

Rach said...

Who'd have thought it would take surgery to get a few "piercings". lol
Sounds like you're doing well, post op, and in good spirits too.

My brother in law manages two cell phone stores. You don't even want to get me started on what he quoted as a decent price to dh, and now we're paying $20 more then that a month. UGH! I do have to say it's a nice phone tho .. WITH a camera. hee!

genderist said...

You should definitely keep those staples when they come out... make an ornament or something out of them!

You could be a trend setter...

Vica said...

It's so good to read your posts following your surgery. You sound as though you are doing well. Congrats.

I agree with you on the phone dilemma. Phones (like digital cameras now?) have so many features packed into them, that it's hard to find the three functions that you use ninety percent of the time.

Could the companies let you build a phone like a car or a computer, with only the features that you like included?

Cerulean Bill said...

That's an excellent idea -- which of course means it's not going to happen.

My guess is that pricing works the way it does for the same reason that razor blades and razors used to be priced the way they were -- that is, razors were free, razor blades cost money. The company made their money on the blades. It might be too much to say that phones are free per se, but relative to how much the company can make on the service, they probably are. So the company has no interest in making it easy for you to compare service plans -- if you pick the wrong one (from your cost perspective), they earn more...

There's probably a web site that talks about this -- wish I knew where it was (g).