Monday, August 08, 2011

Vont

Which is how I say Vermont when I'm sleepy. We're in one of the ubiqutous Marriotts -- this one is a Fairfield, though what the diff is between this and say, Town Place, escapes me. Its not bad. Very pleasant desk clerk, which is a bit unusual.

Ate last night at a Chilis where, by contrast, the waitress had been doing it for way too long. Rattled off the stuff, went into the kitchen. We're outta Doctor Pepper. Um, ok, rootbeer. Our rootbeer is 123,that okay? Well, how the hell -- yeah. Whatever. And the food was less than stellar, even by my standards. You really can't tell one Chilis from another, but I think I'll remember these people.

Vermont's a pretty state, with many, many tree-covered hills. But as we drove the many miles through the trees, not a building in sight -- perhaps a single home up on the hill -- I found myself thinking and in five months, maybe less, all of this will be covered with snow. You gonna want to drive it then? And we still have an hour to go....

I find myself hoping the daughteroid doesn't like the college we're going north to see.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And then there's Mud Season. :-)

It's when the snow melts in April and May.

If you're near Bennington, try the Blue Benn Diner - it's very, very good. Cash only and go at an off-time; the waiting is based on the honor system and it can be a little bit of a one. But it's worth it!

Cerulean Bill said...

Funny, that's exactly what the ROTC person said. The seasons, not the diner.