Saturday, August 27, 2011

Incubator

This is an idea that I've had from time to time. I've yet to work on it, but each time, I come a little closer.

Some background. During the tour of the college we saw this weekend, they mentioned that in one class, each student is assigned to a small "business incubator" team. Each team is given one thousand dollars -- actual money, not play money -- with which they have to implement a plan for a business. Which means they have to have a plan, and get it vetted and approved. During the semester, they execute their plan, and at the end of the semester, they present the results. Any money earned goes to a previously-designated charity of their choice.

I'd like to do something like that. I don't have a thousand dollars to hand around to each of multiple teams. But I do have a thousand dollars that I could hand to ten teams, a hundred dollars at a time. Or two hundred fifty. Or even five hundred. That's the easy part. The hard part is - how to set the goal? How to pick the participants, how to track and evaluate? Not sure.

I do know that I'd like it to be relatively young kids -- which means either middle school or earlyhigh school. I'd like the team to be composed mostly or entirely of girls, just because I have this bias that I don't think girls get enough recognition. What they do -- it doesn't have to be Westinghouse Science Competition level, but it should be challenging. Past that -- I really don't know.

So far, anyway.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fraught.
With.
Problems.

How would success be defined? To double the money? Simple. Deal drugs, sell sex with high school seniors. Easy. Oh you want a more legitimate MEANS. Well then, how about "alternative religion, alternative medicing, or even mainstream religion. What...no dice there? Its legal, and if it was immoral, then Oral Roberts is immoral.
I am betting that you would get a group of tee shirt printers who would sell the half baked slogans to all the parents.

Personally, I would LOVE to be the venture capitalist in this venture. Trust me...the results would be....stunning!

Cerulean Bill said...

Why do you assume I want a more legitimate means? And, thanks for the suggestions....

I have in mind something like 'kids selling technical wizardry'. A teen version of Geek Squad (before they sold out to Best Buy).