Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Conversations

I just had an interesting if brief conversation with my daughter.

I asked her to list the three most important things in selecting a college -- ie, location, class size, academic reputation, size of student body, 'feel', presence of ROTC - and she told me that she'd done that, which was how she'd ended up selecting the three colleges she's mentioned thus far. I was pleased by that. So then I asked her why she has presence of ROTC as a criterion, and she said that she sees the military as a guaranteed job after college. She's not looking for a sinecure -- she wants to be challenged -- but she also wants to have a skill that's needed, that people will pay for, and she sees the military as a path to such a skill.

Given the economic environment she's grown up in, I can't fault her logic.

No comments: