Monday, August 29, 2011

Formula One? And Then Some

This is a fascinating article about efforts to take modeling software which was designed by the McLaren racing group to slice milliseconds off their pit stop time, and transfer it to the problem of aircraft flying the circuit around an airport, waiting for a chance to land.

It's so rare for me to find an article that makes me say That's It? I want to know MORE, dammit! Give me links.... names.... anything on who's doing it, where they are, how it works! Which is to say, I liked the article, and it ended way too soon.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Emissions might be a driver in Europe (considering the new rules going into effect), but the biggest driver for adoption of this system will be the fuel savings. And that's always got to be a good thing!

Can you imagine LaGuardia with this sort of system? Or o'Hare? It makes a lot of sense.

And to think: it could make enough money for McLaren to sponsor itself! :-)