Sunday, August 08, 2010

Pigeon Neuroscience

I know, two words that you don't often see together. And yet today, I saw them twice. What are the odds?

One was an article talking about how pigeons can be trained to get the classic Monty Hall question right -- even when humans cannot. That's one that I still can't get. I just accept that it's right, and remember that when the situation comes up. If it ever does, and I ever need it.

The other was an article from Psychology Today about a con trick called The Pigeon Drop, wherein, basically, your innate desire to be helpful, coupled with your innate desire to come out ahead in a trade, work to your serious disadvantage. I wish I could say that I'll remember this when the situation comes up, but I bet I wouldn't. Which makes me a classic pigeon, I guess.

No comments: