Sunday, August 29, 2010

Counting

Sometimes, learning a new language can be really boring. Even when it's things that you know that you want to know - and know fluently, without hesitation, my inner voice reminds me -- they can be less than fun.

Take vingt-et-un, for example. It's French for twenty-one, but for me, it's French for perhaps we can just skip this number. I have difficulty with lesser numbers -- even zero, aka zéro, pronounced something like ZAYghrow, can be intimidating -- but if I take it slowly, I can do it. Some words are so close to the Spanish - onze, douze, treize, quatorze and quinze sound a lot like once, doce, trece, catorce,quince - that I can rattle them off. Seize (16) puzzles me, but I can frequently remember it if I think of the Spanish (Diez-y-seis). I slow down for the next few -- let's see -- dix-sept, dix-huit, dix-neuf. And finally Vingt. Mount Twenty, at last!

And then I'm staring at the next little step, and I'm stunned. Vingt-et-un. Veh-E-oon. Or possibly VANteyon. Past that, the ride smooths out -- the 'et' gets dropped, and you're into vingt-un, vingt-douze, vingt-trois. No problem. But 21....

Ah, skip it.

4 comments:

genderist said...

I hated learning to count in french. Just wait until the numbers get bigger and you have to add things.

When I was in high school (and taking french) I would sit up in bed at night and count to 200 (in french) when I couldn't sleep.

I wonder if I could still do it.

Cerulean Bill said...

Next time your daughter needs some middle of the night walking....

STAG said...

four score and twenty years ago...

Cerulean Bill said...

Yeah, every language has them. Though I bet, other than that reference, very few people know what a score is, other than for sports or music.

I always stumble on 'stone'. He was 12 stone. Uh, is that a lot?