Monday, August 02, 2010

Learning French

I've been pinging in multiple places as part of my effort to get a basic smattering of French, reading phrases with what I desperately hope is a good French accent (I told my daughter that trying to repeat that classic accent is like listening to water gurgling over rocks, then trying to make that same sound with your tongue). I look at web pages written in French, read Facebook posts (just learned there that 'de quoi' apparently means the same as 'pourquoi', for example), and, of course, submit many phrases to Google Translate (which rattles some phrases off like a bullet train). I even dreamed about speaking French, last night -- amazing how fluent I was.

As part of that melange approach, I came across a site called French Word A Day, which is somewhat more than just the bare vocabulary site that its name implies. It's actually pretty good.

No comments: