Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunday

There are times when I surprise myself at the conservatism of my views. And there are times when I surprise myself by the immaturity of my views. Both were in evidence this morning.

At church, they asked for money to send to Pakistan to aid in recovery from floods, which have, apparently, been devastating. It's a noble goal. Yet my first reaction was to think "Okay, first show me what your own government is doing about it, and then we'll see about donating some funds". My wife objected, saying that this was hardly a charitable response, and I said that I'd feel a lot more charitable if I wasn't convinced that we weren't being taken for suckers by the government there (and neighboring places). "Prove to me that the money will go to aid, and not a third to the government, a third to the Taliban, and a third to aid....and I'll think about it", I said. I pulled those percentages out of thin air, but I do believe that any aid we give those countries results in a) enriching the Taliban, and b) contributing to our international image as Uncle Sap, with a minimal amount going to helping people -- who, by the way, don't ever say thanks. Neither do their leaders, as rule. I do hear them say 'Send more money', though.

This morning, I noticed our XG on Facebook. She'd just posted a comment, and I checked the 'like' button. Almost immediately, she disappeared from FB. Yesterday, when my daughter IM'd her, mentioning that I said hi, she almost immediately disappeared, too. So, I muse, is she trying to evade us? And if so, why? Which I realize is typical high-school-crush logic. I'm amazed that I can still have that sensation. It's like, years ago, when I really wanted this person I know to like me, and was dismayed by the gradual realization that for her, I was just a casual acquaintance, nothing more. Apparently, I can still have that sort of reaction. Who'd have guessed? (Other than anyone who knows me, that is!)

No comments: