Thursday, August 05, 2010

Lesbians

I've never known anyone whom I was sure was a lesbian. There were two women that I used to work with whom I thought might be, but somehow the topic never quite came up. (My reason for thinking one might be was the classic: she was cute, but never said a word about dating anyone.) It took me a long time before I thought y'know, this whole gay marriage thing, who's hurt by it? And the answer I came up with was, nobody. So, go for it. Mazel tov.

My daughter had taped a program of lesbian comedians (it used to be 'comediennes', but I guess we don't say that any more). She really liked it -- said their routines were outstanding. The bits where they just talked about themselves, not so much, but the routines, really funny. So, last night, I finally watched it. Oddly, my reaction was the reverse -- most of their humor, I thought meh. Kind of funny, but not knee-slapping. One woman said that at airports, they only give you one pass through their scanners before they do a pat-down. Women are always patted down by women (big smile). I always tape pennies all over my body! Another talked about being Canadian, and their attitude toward the United States, which is always leading them into war, just like taking a dog somewhere it really doesn't want to go. Good Canada! C'mon! Wanna go to war? Huh? C'mon, I'll give you a chew toy! She paused. We're not stupid, you know. Just... easily led. Another said My mother's trying to get me to wear lipstick. Just for the color, she says. As distinct from what, the nutrition value? And one woman did a routine about the Bible, saying Leviticus, you know, it says that man shall not lay with man. But it doesn't say anything about woman shall not lay with woman. Which I figure means, even back then, guys liked to watch two chicks go at it. But other than that, not so much.

The thing is, though, they were trying. They weren't effortlessly funny, but they were trying, working at it -- and that impressed me. That showed guts. And I liked quite a lot when they were just talking - about themselves, their families, their approaches to humor. It made them real. So overall, I was glad to see the show. It was good. Okay, a little, I wondered Why is my only daughter recommending a show of lesbian humor to me? Is she trying to tell me something?

I'm still very much of the mode that if I did meet a lesbian, I'd want to treat them as just a little bit odd, though. Wow, are you a lesbian? Do you guys, like, have a secret handshake or something? An ID card? Say something lesbian!

4 comments:

STAG said...

We're not stupid eh, just...um...easily led.

rofl


Thats going to be my new tag line.

STAG said...

Say something lesbian.

Hmmmm.


I like boobs.

STAG said...

Oh wait, that means......




I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body!


Oh dear!

Cerulean Bill said...

Like that old joke about the cowboy who met the lesbian in the bar?