Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Note

I haven't been posting much lately, and, as the saying goes, the dwindling number of people who actually look at this site may not even have noticed. But in case they have, I apologise.

Its simply that I am really, really hyped about the possibility of going to France next year (I know, college kids, hell, high school kids, do it all the time... but for me, it's a big deal), and I want to be able to speak the language when I get there. So, I've been spending about three hours a day, going through stack of vocabulary cards, and reading a book on conversational French. I think that when I finally get to the point where I can actually say useful things, however minimal, I won't be quite so freaked out, but that point is, by my guess, about three months away. I mean, I could probably say some simple things now, and certainly I recognize about a hundred words, which I couldn't do two weeks ago, but I need to be a lot further along, be able to say the things that get you through the normal day. I mean, I'm already thinking If we go, and if we go to those people's house, what do I say when we've just rung the doorbell and someone answered? Je m'appelle Bill; que est-ce le maison d'mes amis? Which I didn't look up, so it's likely spelled wrong. But what else? Gee, you have a pretty house. Ah...something something un belle maison. Okay, I'm done here, I'm just going to sit and nod a lot. NO. I won't be able to carry on a graceful conversation, but I WILL be able to do more than that.

So I've been practicing, and therefore not reading too much, and therefore not thinking about stuff. And so not writing. I will, I promise. I want to. I want to read that economics book, and I want to read some of the other eight or so that're waiting to be read. And if I see things on the web on occasion, or the paper, I'll write about them, because I do like doing that. (I really do. I wish I had people to talk with about stuff. My wife has many sterling qualities, but one that I really cherish is that I can talk with her about anything, and she will talk with me about them. Not just listen politely, but actually talk. One of my great failings is that I have never been able to cultivate that kind of thing with anyone else. I don't know why. Got a hunch, but....)

Just.... it's gonna be a little sparse for a bit. But hey, does anyone want to know the word for intersection in French? Notebook? Ticket? I can do that. No, really, I'm here all week.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

May i suggest that you watch Magret (the detective) on TV or other French movies.

Cerulean Bill said...

I've hunted around a bit and not found any French-language films on the tube. This surprised me. Spanish, yes; French, no. Look at the tube in, say, England, you'd find them, but not here. At least, not in rural Pennsylvania.