Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Friends

Several weeks ago, I mentioned the experience of my family and a girl who'd gotten kicked out of her house, though she was 17. She did get back in the house a few days later. No idea what she did for lodging in the interim.

The girl was the only person from color guard (actually, she was out of it by then, but still) to come to my daughter's karate qualification event for her first belt upgrade. It meant a lot to my daughter, and we thought it was pretty nice of the kid to make the effort. We got the feeling that she was on good behavior for us, but heck, no problem there. Our daughter later told us that the kid is bipolar, which might have been the source of some of what lead to her being kicked out. Or not.

Two days ago, my daughter got a text message from the girl, to the effect that she was just about to give birth. I was startled by that -- I know, kids text incessantly, but in the delivery room? We didn't hear anything after that, though apparently it went okay. This morning, I mentioned that to my wife, who said that she'd heard that the father was - this fifty year old guy.

That is a kid with a seriously messed up life. And because I liked her when we met her, I feel really sorry for her.

No comments: