Thursday, August 26, 2010

RiD

My mother used to subscribe to the large print Reader's Digest. It's been decades, I suspect, since you could count on that magazine to have anything useful, but it can be pleasant reading for days when you don't want to think. The large print version, which she got, contains an unholy amount of ads for urinary incontinence devices, glaucoma tests, and diabetic neuropathy treatments. That kind of crap is exactly why I didn't join AARP when they offered me their magazine, about ten years ago. Perhaps some day I'll find such things interesting - look, Martha, an adult diaper in camo! - but not soon. The current issue has a picture of a baby on the cover. The baby is staring, goggle-eyed, as kids will, and wearing a pair of 3-D glasses. If I ever think such things are funny -- shoot me. Right then, right away. Just shoot me.

No comments: